Friday, December 19, 2008

Cafe con Leche Part 2

My quest for the perfect cafe con leche continues.

Last time it was Starbucks, today it was the bagel and espresso place across from campus. I explained the barista exactly what I wanted and she suggested a custom-made espresso macchiato. Two minutes later, my hopes rested on a mug half-filled with one shot of espresso, four ounces of steamed skim milk and two inadequatily mixed sugar packets.

Based on color alone, it wasn't promising. My Spain coffee was a rich cross between butterscotch and caramel brown, served in a 6 oz. glass that was hot to the touch. This lukewarm concoction was a flat, murky brown-gray, devoid of shine and aroma. The taste also wasn't quite there, either because four ounces is too much milk, or more likely, because I went with skim instead of the half-skim-half-whole that Sasika got in her cappuccino.

The coffee conundrum remains unsolved.

On the upside, Sasika and I had an engrossing conversation about hitting it big at age 27 (with one particular speechwriter in mind), post-graduation possibilities and how we secretly just want to be novelists. Invigorated by the shot of caffeine, Sasika and I left with a pact to a) make this our new study spot and b) submit a piece of creative writing for publication next semester.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License