Saturday, December 13, 2008

Holiday Cookie Potluck

In theory it's a good idea. After all, what better way to get in the Christmas spirit than turn a secret Santa gift exchange into an all out holiday bake-fest?

But as I learned last night, the only way to throw such a party is with a side order of Alka-Seltzer tablets and enough pillows for everyone to lay in their laps and double themselves over. Yes, there really is such a thing as holiday cookie overload (gasp!)

Anita and Sasika took on this year's event knowing that even their laid-back selves could outdo last year's un-festive precedent: a ten-minute swap outside a crowded Starbucks on study day.

Their Facebook event promised gifts, cookies and "hot chocolate with a twist." As if that wasn't enticing enough, a picture of the lovable Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer gazed back at guests. We busied ourselves hunting for recipes, of the cookie and cocktail variety, and wrapping gifts.

At first I wanted to make carrot cupcakes because I've been craving them for about a month. But after perusing Vicki's Christmas cookie book, I settled on the more festive hot chocolate cookie. And in a sudden bout of inspiration triggered by a Rice Krispies commercial I saw yesterday afternoon, I threw Rice Krispie treats into my contribution.

An afternoon of baking yielded this heavenly sight.

Moving left from my marshmallow-topped hot chocolate cookies we had peanut butter Hershey kiss cookies, butter cookies, sugar cookies, peppermint candy cane cookies, Vicki's Norweigan Christmas cookies whose name escapes me, Rice Krispie treats, gingerbread cookies and mini chocolate chip cookies.

Finally the moment came to dig in. A few of us, myself included, had skipped dinner to get the full cookie experience. We made the rounds, most trying at least one of each. Ten minutes and six or seven cookies later, all I (and everyone else) wanted was a glass of milk. Silence befell the food coma'd group. The T.V. went on. Forget a sugar high, this was a sugar crash.

The gift exchange brought a little levity. We had drawn names at our Thanksgiving dinner, the same night Nancy and I had to duck out early to attend the last home football game of the year. Funnily enough I drew Nancy and she drew me. But alas, even the magic of gift giving couldn't fully overcome a sugar-butter-egg overdose. Even though everyone was done, the table of goodies looked untouched.

Sumegha, already battling a cold, left early. I passed on the hot chocolate, my stomach not wanting anything but for me to curl into a ball. Fifteen minutes later I left. After the party Anita and Sasika came over and poor Sasika was suffering the same saccharine-induced malady.

Today at around noon I walked out of my room in my PJs and hoodie and collapsed head-first onto the couch.

"Cookie hangover, Priya?" Molly asked as I buried my head in a blanket.

"I'm never eating cookies again," I mumbled.

My sweet tooth might finally be taking the long-desired hiatus the scale has wished upon it since I returned from Spain.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License