Monday, November 5, 2007

I am 'Scrubs'

This weekend I finally had some free time, so I decided to live up to the lazy college student stereotype watched about 25 episodes (not including the six I just watched this afternoon) of "Scrubs" aka the best television show since "Friends."

I saw a couple of episodes last year and liked what I saw, but since I really don't like watching TV shows unless I've seen them from the beginning, I didn't really get beyond those few. But, since I for once had some time on my hands, I decided, hey what the hell.

It was funny because I saw a some of the first season with Supraja a couple weeks ago and I made a comment about how I couldn't stand Elliot. She was the show-off who would never shut up and who you just want to grab by the shoulders and shake. But this weekend when I made it haflway into the first season, I realized why exactly Elliot stuck a nerve.

She's exactly like me.

No, seriously. Total goody two shoes whose biggest fear is having to make a decision in a situation where the right answer can't just be looked up in a book; overzealous, ambitious control freak who is desperately seeking the approval of her superiors and colleagues; young neurotic woman who is (sort of almost) about to jump into the real world without having any clue as to how it works since her parents have always provided for her every need; and finally, the over-analyzer who has to have and thought she had her entire life planned out, right down to her career and the age-window she has to get married in, but is now realizing that a little thing called life kind of gets in the way of all that planning.

Me, me, me, and oh God yes, me.

Seriously, this semester I've been convinced my English teacher doesn't like me, so I met with him to go over the guidelines for one of our papers so that he would realize how much getting an A in class means to me, just like how Elliot was willing to do everything for Dr. Cox in that one episode, including delivering every patient the bad news they had no desire to hear. She may get all the answers right, but she slaves away over those textbook so much that when people like JD are just good at everything, she can't handle it. She is unable to stand up to anyone, like those gyno gals from that one episode in Season 2. She's secretly happy when every doctor is finally paying some attention to her, even if the attention is due to her hookup with a doctor she rarely knew. (Okay, we may differ slightly there, but the whole needing to be the center of attention no matter what, that's shared). Throw in Turk's relentless ambition, subtract the blonde hair and desire to become a doctor and bam, you've got me in a nutshell. (Hell watching all this Scrubs such little time has made a teensy part of me actually want to become a doctor. Scary, I know).

So beyond my little personal revelation, this massive Scrubs marathon has wreaked havoc in one other way - I'm kind of unable to do anything else but watch it. Seriously, I don't know how I'm actually going to get any work done this week, or for the rest of the semester for that matter. I just don't seem to grasp the concept of moderation (remember the 4,000 pages of books I read in three days this summer?)

Oh dear :)

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License