Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Big Cheese and The Godfather

Last night I did not sleep well. First, I couldn't fall asleep (But you already knew that judging from the random previous post. I mean, it was written in Spanish.) But finally, sometime after 4 am I did finally drift off to dreamland, only to have my sleep continuously interrupted by...cheese. Yeah, cheese. It was a totally restless sleep, and every time I tossed and turned, I saw the words "Camembert (only for some reason in my dream it was spelled with two ms. (Yes I see words in my dreams...I'm a journalism major, what do you expect.)) and Roquefort, both of which I don't like. (I had a piece of camembert cheese with my dinner on the flight to Paris over spring break, and well, let's just say you'll never see me eating that kind of cheese again.) I blame that salt book I'm reading, since one of the last things I read about was how to make Roquefort cheese. Not that I really plan on ever doing so. But since I love cheese so much and don't really have anything better to do, I'm going to list my favorite kinds. This way, if I ever get old and crazy, I can at least remember something that made me happy. But anyways, here goes: port salut, havarti, fontina, gruyere, feta, goat cheese, parmigiano-reggiano, colby jack, and lorraine. I think that's all of them.

Speaking of lorraine cheese, last night, my insomniac self poked around at a couple other blogs, and I found this one of a French girl named Lorraine who was living in Sweden. This girl has written entries in both Swedish and French. There must have been English somewhere but I wasn't bored enough to hunt for them. But that reminds me once again of one of the many other topics I have been meaning to write about - how most other young people around the world are fluent in at least two languages, and here we are in the United States, hardly making a serious attempt at doing the same. I mean, I'm serious about learning Spanish, but can you imagine where I'd be now if I'd started learning Spanish in kindergarten instead of 7th grade? But I'll expand on that later, I had another point for this post besides just cheese.

Last evening, I did something momentous, something so ingrained in our culture that it's a wonder I was able to call myself an American before. I watched "The Godfather." It was all Neeraj's doing; I had no desire at all to watch a Mafia movie full of death and crime. But he had gotten Mom and Papa to watch it, and all his friends to also, so it was only a matter of time before he got to me too. And he did. So I watched. And yes, I admit, it wasn't as bad or confusing as I thought. I was worried that he would get overexcited and talk through the entire movie, explaining every little intricacy, seeing as he's seen it about 5 times in the past 2 months and gets. But he didn't and I am glad. And while the movie didn't revolutionize my life, I will say that it was a well-done, interesting story that makes it very clear you should always stick with family. So thanks Neeraj, now I'll be able to understand all the various pop culture references and be able to impress any guy I meet with my Godfather knowledge. But for now, the breakfast table is making me an offer my stomach can't refuse, so I'll be off.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License