Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Red Eyeshadow

I think it's the combination of fancy colors, luxurious scents, and the idea that an entire store exists for the sole purpose of making my face look stunning, that makes Sephora so irresistible. I joined Sareena and her college friends today for our ritual trip to the mall, and while all the boys waited patiently outside, us girls spent an unnecessary amount of time browsing around. But, I will quickly add that, for once, we actually did have a purpose for being there. One of Sareena's friends needed to find just the right shade of pink, green, and brown eyeshadow for her mother, who is doing a bride's makeup this weekend.

While we were debating between shimmer or matte, palette or duo, I tried as long as I could to hold off from playing with the makeup. But then I noticed Urban Decay's Deluxe Eyeshadow in Heat, and I couldn't resist any longer. I slid my finger across the velvety soft surface and rubbed it on the back of my hand. I'd found it. This was the color I'd been searching for.

I've always wanted to get some red eyeshadow, despite the fact that I have no real idea how to pull it off. But, by red eyeshadow, I don't mean that punky, goth fire-hydrant red paint smeared across the entire eye. No, I mean a shimmery, deep orangeish-red tastefully brushed across the lid. Basically, the exact the color that was now streaked on my index finger. Looking at all the bright colors around me, I wished I could get them all and learn how to artfully pull of the smoky eye or the electric blue eye for a night on the town.

Now that I'd already begun, I figured it was no point holding back, so I proceeded to continue smearing pretty colors across my hand, including this Urban Decay Heavy Metal Glitter Eye Liner. (Wouldn't that be fun to put on before going out?) I made my way around the store, trying out perfumes as well as shadows, and came across this sumptuous LAVANILA Vanilla Blossom scent.

(I swear, I wasn't paid to put up all these links, I just had a bit too much fun at the store.) Anyways, to make a long story short, we finally found the right eye shadows for the bride and I walked out empty-handed. Don't roll your eyes and ask me what was the point of telling you all this; I never said I was actually intending on buying anything. I mean, yes, the stuff looked and smelled a-maz-ing, but really, 17 dollars for an eyeshadow I'm not even going to be using everyday. I don't even have something to match the shadow with. But it isn't even about the money. It's just important to remember that eye shadow can be wiped off as easily as it glides on.

When I was in high school, I imagined my college self as this chic young woman who spent every weekend out having fun. In the back of my head, I knew it wouldn't happen, and after attending a couple of those crazy college parties freshman year, I realized I didn't even want it to. That person just wasn't me, and slowly I began to accept it. I'd much rather go out for a nice dinner or spend an evening lounging around with the friends I care about most than attend a drunken fratfest. I sometimes still see imagine myself becoming that stylish bar-hopper, but I suspect that won't happen until I've got my own job, place, and disposable income. But until then, I'll take my reunions at the mall and makeup dabbling as the last vestiges of a disappearing adolescence.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License