Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Right Set of Ears

Be careful what you say because you never know who's listening.

I don't say that to be menacing, in fact, something decidedly positive happened when the right person heard the right words this evening on the Metro.

Fellow intern Hannah and I were chatting on our way home from a dinner at the city's Top Chef- created burger joint when she asked me if I knew a certain professor. Turns out, the man who taught her internship program's class this summer was also the one who pushed me through the journalism class from hell I told you all about last fall.

"You're kidding me," I told Hannah. "He was one of my favorite teachers ever!" I went on to tell her how Megan (who's also interning at this office) and I were in his class together and how we absolutely loved him and he loved us, going on and on. Soon enough Hannah's stop came and after bidding her good bye, I pulled out my book to occupy the rest of the ride.

Shortly before my station, the lady sitting across from me slides over and hands me her card.

"I overheard you talking about Mr. Journalism earlier," she told me. "Well, I'm the one who hired him to teach for this internship program."

Say what?

She told me she was so happy to hear how much we liked him, and wanted to pass the praise on.

"Too often teachers only hear from the bad students and I wanted to let him know what I heard today," she said before we parted ways.

I just sent her an e-mail telling her who Hannah and I are, and how I'd be more than happy for her to let Professor know how much we appreciate his teaching us.

I'm sure Hannah will get a kick out of this coincidence when I tell her tomorrow. What a small world after all.

Oh, and remind me, I must write about the new possible career option I discovered yesterday evening :)

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License